Thursday, June 26, 2008

Training for Ironman

It has been a while since I last posted. After Eagleman, I have settled into my routine of Ironman Prep, more the isolation training phase. During most of my Ironman training sessions I workout alone and begin to move inward taking inventory on how I am adapting to the increased workloads, focus on quality of the workout, and begin identifying trends and devising plans to hurdle those obstacles that arise during racing. After consultation with Coach Dave, we are moving at a nice clip and I believe have a solid training plan for the next few weeks. I am feeling pretty good in the water as many of my workouts now are focused on time spent and quality of the swim as opposed to repeats etc, which are part of the Vasa workouts. On the bike, I feel I have made significant progress over last year. On my long rides, at 3 and 3.5 hours now (50-60miles), I am continuing to use a 23-11 on climbs to continue to build leg strength. On race day, I will be using either 25-12 or 27-12, as I want to keep legs fresh for the marathon. My runs have been of better quality since Eagleman. Typically on my quality day doing intervals, I am pushing much harder within limits and focused on more sustained interval efforts. Long runs have fallen into place nicely as I am able to recover on Mondays and hit it again on Tuesday. This I hope will lead to a more successful marathon experience this September. In the upcoming weeks, I will begin more focused on longer efforts and begin the real work phase of Ironman training.

No comments: