Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ironman Isolation

It has been a while since last post. However, Ironman and life keeps me quite busy. I have been working with some challenges associated with diabetes with extremes both high and low. Working with Dr. Matt to get some sense to what I can be doing different in my management regime and hoping to work this in to my routine.

What really hit me today as I rode my 2 hour ride before work was the notion of Ironman Isolation. I basically train alone, but find this to be an appealing part of the experience. Race day is a social event, however it is the athlete who must push his or her body across the 140.6 miles to the finish. During my ride this morning I reflected on how things on the family front have stabilized, how despite the blood sugar issues I am feeling trained and getting stronger, and what I need to do in the next 60 days to get prepared. As a result, I will be climbing again this Saturday and trying to build some confidence in handling hills!

2 comments:

Brickhead said...

Sounds good, chopper - hope Dr matt can dial in some diabetic karma for you. Truthfully none of us are alone in this madness, huh? I am surprised how many times during training my mind wanders to all you guys...

Keep it up - see you in a few months

Michelle said...

Good to hear you out there. Ironman is a bit isolated, especially on the bike (my opnion). I'm the exact opposite of you - I CRAVE other people to talk to...it makes me crazy to have no one.