Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Friend Steve

19 Day til Ironman! I received an email last week from my best friend Steve Silverman. The best man at my wedding, the man who knew many of my many challenges in life. His words were transformed into action this morning. After having a decent ride Saturday, and great first half of my Sunday long run, I scraped it in for the final 1 1/2 hour on Sunday and felt like crap the remainder of Sunday into Monday. This morning it would have been nice to sleep in and not workout. But resonating in my brain was Steve's words of encouragement as I re-read his email last evening and got up to put in an excellent run, despite having a closing BS of 55, further dropping to 45. As I prepare for this race, it will be 22 years that Steve and I have been friends. Also, along the way, Denise and I will have been together for 20 years. After all this time, the 2 of them have schemed and supported me over the years no matter the adventure, like Steve, after major knee surgery, hobbling around at the 1997 New York City Marathon, chasing me down in the rain. I realise I am pretty fortunate.

No comments: