Friday, August 8, 2008

No- It is the Story.....

Ironman training is comprised of peaks and valleys! The heavy volume time days we are now in challenge even the toughest physically and mentally. For example, Sunday's long run started well enough but ended 2 1/2 hour in with dehydration and scraping it in for the final hour. But the end result of 20 miles done makes it worth it. As I logged the big volume days in, I find myself wondering what I will be doing after this adventure. In doing the work getting to the start line, I ponder what Ray and Nella our documentary filmers pondered with us, is the story the race? or is it getting to the race? This year I found many answers I have sought while racing Ironman. The Ultimate question of why always comes up. The physical challenge? Did that. Mental Challenge, been there. The Story- yep -that's it. The memories of bonking during my first ride on Darth Velo Jedi Penguin. The good training days and the numerous "bad" days. The lows and highs of blood sugar management, the email correspondences with my Triabetes family. My family's absolute and unconditional love and support for me no matter the outcome. The mornings at 5 am riding running, the trips to the pool pondering jumping in the water, the pain of Vasa, the phone calls and coaching from Coach Dave, the pain after long runs, the saddle sores of 5+ hour rides, wanting to quit but keeping the one goal in mind. During this training year, I was challenged with questions and demons. As I heard in Santa Barbara, it was time to stop wrestling ghosts and the answers to life's eternal questions are becoming much clear this year than in my past 4 years training for Ironman. In the final 9 days of big volume, I and my other Tribetes teammates will put the final touches on our training and converge on Madison. And the stories we will tell!

2 comments:

Anne Findlay said...

good luck with the last big push Steve. Looking forward to racing with you in Madison. I think for me the story is having this network of support that keeps me going when I feel like giving in and extending that to others who need to see that it's worth the effort to live well.

Michelle said...

Cripes, Steve! I haven't slept much since I was over at Nella and Ray's house Monday... I mean, dude, what IS this story I wanted to tell?????

Nella and I were just discussing that.

You know that the answer is? We decided: it's unknown. Until the last person crosses the finish line, until we all finish saying what it all meant. There is no story until then.

Right now, we just bask in all the friendships we've formed and relish in the moments were a 7 year old kid walks up to a stranger in a pool in Denver and says, "are you part of the Triabetes project??"

Wowser... I love that....

Keep dreamin' baby....