Monday, January 26, 2009

Cold Ride preparing for the Fawn Grove...




It was cold this weekend! As I have become more active, my desire to get off the trainer and get outside to workout has gone through the roof. Computrainer is great, but doesn't compare to getting out and riding! I planned an hour and 20 minute ride on one of my favorite routes only to fin the forecast changed and rather than being 46 and sunny, it was 30 and snowing. This was not going to deter my riding outside and I got dressed and started out.

As I was riding I began thinking about the 09 season. I am starting the outdoor season in April riding the Fawn Grove Roubaix! A short 27 mile Cat 5 bike race with 7 stretches of packed dirt roads simulating the "cobbles" of Paris-Roubiax. I recall my friend Howard talking about his riding the cobbles of Belgium and thinking this is the closest this will come to a true Euro road race as April weather, dirt, and racing. I am hoping to just survive this race and what a way to begin my bike racing career. I am entering this with only one goal, finish this race and learn. I am entering a few more road races and criteriums, with the goal of competing in the Tour of Lancaster County in August (2 day 3 race Stage race). Learning how to bike race will present its challenges, but it has reinvigorated my training and "forces" me out on a cold snowy Saturday ride.

To the ride, despite being slow and low on the power output, I was just happy to be riding and riding with a renew sense of purpose. I look forward to seeing how this and the Carl Dolan Circuit race will hep me prepare for Columbia Tri and Rhode Island 70.3. Only time and training will tell.

No comments: