Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Year- New Directions

It has been quite some time since my last post and I feel rejuvenated and ready to tackle 2009! In retrospect, I really needed time away from the blog, racing and even training. I understood the physical impact of Ironman Wisconsin, but came to realize the mental and emotional toll the race took on me. Last year I spent my year focusing on one day. Day in and Day out, the prize was getting to the start line in Madison. After a sub par 2007 Ironman experience, I primed myself to not repeat the mistakes I made in Lake Placid. When all was said and done, I deemed the 2008 Ironman finish a major success. Then it hit me, I was spent emotionally and mentally drained from the balance act maintained during the preparation. After many start and stops in getting more consistent with workouts, I decided to take a break and clear my mind of triathlon. I would keep up with the Triabetes posts, yet didn't post. I distanced myself for a while and took the necessary break from the intensity I typically put into many aspects of my life. I just was for a while, and it was uncomfortable at time, yet freeing. I heard a quote the other day that rings true, is real freedom is the need to not control everything. And, that's what I did and I am truly back in the bike saddle again! My pledge for racing in 2009 is to make triathlon racing fun again, not a means to an end. Enjoy the races I have entered and not be pressured about whether or not I am hitting my targets. For instance, I am racing Columbia in May and not focusing on hammering the swim and bike sections and hanging on in the run for a finish, I will actually approach the triathlon with a tri mindset. Pretty cool for a control freak like me. I look forward to posting more of my thoughts throughout the season with some regularity, yet continuing to remember my goal of having more fun this season. I am hopeful this goal will be met.

No comments: