Monday, April 7, 2008

Brandywine Du

Well it is in the bag! The first multisport raceat the Brandywine Du. Started the day waking up at 120 and feeling like I was dropping. Leaving my home at 4:20 am, I ate my oatmeal, I gave myself 75% of my normal bolus and drove sipping water and coffee on the 2 1/2 hour drive to Coatesville PA. Prior to the race, I switched out my normal road bars to tri bar set up and race it for the first time. I was surprised at how comfortable the new set up was and my propensity to stay in the aerobars longer. Not sure what I will do for Ironman, but at least have some options. The vibration and buzzing of my DexCom reminded me that my initial hunch of racing low was apparent as at 7:50 am before the race, I registered at 60. A quick downing of ClifShot Bloks and I was off for my first run. I felt the previous days 1 hr and 50 minute (33 mile) ride in my legs. I pushed but stayed within my self-prescribed limits. I completed my Pre-Preformance Plan highlighting my desire to race relaxed and paced with taking no risks physically. That said, I plodded along and got to my bike with a less than stellar first run. The bike was cold, windy, and technical with more climbing than I originally thought. The end result was my bike legs came to me at mile 10 and felt good rolling through the final 3 miles. Then the last even less stellar run bookended the day. Oh by the way, a gel and second round of shotbloks, suspending my pump at the start of the bike, and a second gel topped off a end race blood sugar of 72 , I left my DexCom attached to my bike. UGH! All in all, not at all wasted from the race and should have a decent week of training

The best part of the race was seeing Triabetes teammate Brian Foster! He recently moved from PA to upstate NY, where Polar Bears seem to make their home. Unforunately I wasn' t able to connect with him earlier due to cell issues, but caught him in the transition area after the race. He too seemed to be facing lows. I was also forutnate to meet his wife. I met Brian in Madison at sign ups and really am inspired on how he takes running to a higher level. He will be sucessful in this journey and as with all my Triabetes teammates, I will enjoy the results!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Isn't it just the BEST when the Triabetes members come together to race????? I cannot wait for a few to ride the IM course with me on 5/3, the day after our JDRF gala - Phil Southerland will be here too.

Glad you guys connected!!!!