Thursday, January 24, 2008

Winter Blues- or more?

Some call it the blues, some call it depression, some even call it seasonal affective disorder, but it feels the same. I just feel it is important for me to provide a quick commentary on this issue. The unfortunate connection between diabetes and depression is out there with no real causal relationship found. That saidwith many of us who experience depression may not seek treatment because this in some perverse way is a sign of weakness. From a book I read in Grad school, A Man's Search for Meaning, by Vicktor Frankl, and recently re-read as it was referenced in Dave Shields's book The Tour, describes suffering as a condition of human existence. One quote that stands out , "To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering." However, from a closer analysis, I deduce that part of our finding meaning involves reduction of the suffering. Those who have experienced depression understand all to well the suffering. Additionally, depression can follow seasonal patterns. Like many people, you may develop cabin fever during the winter months. Or you may find yourself eating more or sleeping more when the temperature drops and darkness falls earlier. While those are common and normal reactions to the changing seasons, people with seasonal affective disorder (SAD) experience a much more serious reaction when summer shifts to fall and on to winter.
SO, what is the link, no one really knows, here's a quote from the Diabetes Monitor:
Causes underlying the association between depression and diabetes are unclear. Depression
may develop because of stress but also may result from the metabolic effects of diabetes on
the brain. Studies suggest that people with diabetes who have a history of depression are
more likely to develop diabetic complications than those without depression. People who
suffer from both diabetes and depression tend to have higher health care costs in primary
care.
Despite the higher health care costs, the impact is enourmous. As a clincal social worker, I expereinced the impact through my clients. But, personaally, my expreiences with SAD and depression "proper" is a living hell, and needs to be addressed. Treatments include: talk therapy, medication regime, and for SAD, light therapy. What I can say is with proper treatment,it works and the meaning in suffering can be found. So, when you see that the blues are taking longer to kick, please bring this to your endo or your family doc because you don't need or deserve the pain associated with a treatable disease like depression.

1 comment:

Dave Shields said...

Hi Steve,
Your accomplishments are very impressive. I'm honored that you mentioned my book in your post. Frankl's book has obviously been an inspiration to me as well. One of the greatest experiences of my writing career has been receiving a letter from his daughter telling me how honored he would have been by the way I integrated his quotes into The Tour. I'm grateful that they gave me the right to do it.
Tailwinds,
Dave Shields