Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Winfield Mile- 2008 Season Begins

We made it a family affair at the annual Winfield Mile race. This marks the beginning of a New Year and comes with the anticipation of good season results. This year the whole Chop family ran. Denise and Bri ran just ahead of Tommy and me as Tommy out sprinted Dad in the final 50 meters. I enjoyed this race more than ever this year. While at the start line, my wife and I were asked about our t-shirts, by a father of twins who have been diagnosed with t-1, and what is Triabetes? We explained what we are doing how she supports me as a t-1'er and how I train and race endurance sports. This fellow introduced us to his son who was diagnosed a year ago with t-1 and was racing as well. After the race we chatted a bit, with me sharing my trials and tribulations of racing with diabetes and my finishing 2 Ironmans. During the conversation, I noticed the father's facial expression and the sense of "relief" he seemed to experience in knowing that if his son and daughter wanted to do something crazy like Ironman that it is possible to do with diabetes. What occurred to me, after we left the race, is that I would not have this type of conversation if I was not connected to the Triabetes cause! Wow, just by wearing our team shirt and this starting a conversation that seemed to help this father. A pretty good start to 2008!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly....why I started this project. thanks for posting this!

and start taking emails, phone #s and no prisoners...who KNOWS what we will be doing in 09 - kids Triabetes?