Monday, December 31, 2007

Bye Bye 2007 - Hello 2008

It is finally the end of another year! I look back and reflect. In retrospect, it was an interesting year where personal/ professional stuff overshadowed athletics. I use the analogy of having a number of curve balls thrown at me on the personal/ professional side that at times distracted me from my training. Most pronounced was the challenges I faced in June while in my final build phase of Ironman training. Some people really don't get it on how being on a bike for 5 hours running for 3 hours and the solitude of training is fulfilling. While most of my supporters were very understanding and encouraging, some just don't get it. This effected me as I was presented with an issue of how training impacts the time spent with my family, my work, and my life. I found during my final preparation, I am typically more strong minded, I slipped and doubted myself at the worst time. In training for Ironman, I often wake up at 4 am to complete my workouts during the week and long days during the weekend I often finished by noon. Was my training for Ironman effecting those things that are meaningful in life like family and work? Ironman is a race that requires balance and full commitment. Not the 90-95% I felt I was going in to Lake Placid. I have concluded that some people just don't get it! That is going to be ok. I am looking so forward to 2008. This is a significant year to me- I turn 40, I am racing Ironman again, and I am part of Triabetes. My family gets it, and I will be able to share in the experience with my Triabetes teammates! As I am sure that as we prepare for Wisconsin, we all will get it!

No comments: