Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Off-Season and Strength Training

Man, Coach Dave has really challenging job- holding me back early in the process, and motivating me later in training. I am fortunate as I am working with Dave Amato a seasoned bike racer, triathlete and coach through Training Tempered. He and I have been working together for the past year with him bringing sense and balance to my training program.

I love December- February off season work as it allows me to get back to weight training (hopefully not weight gaining) I used to love when I wrestled in college. When I Coach Dave developed my strength training plan, it was different in that it is a functional program that targets the muscle groups used in triathlon. Also during this time I am able to do some mountain biking for my bike workouts and trail running. These are great strength builders and changes the pace, figuratively and literally. I typically trail run through the season as it helps my knees and joints recover from the pounding and the hill work will build strength to challenge the Madison run course. As far as the swim, I have been working about 1k, 2 times per week on the vasa erg, I haven't been near the pool since October. More on this later.

No comments: