Saturday, December 29, 2007

Today's Ride

Well the mercury hit 45 degrees and out I went. Did a 25 mile ride with 3 sustained 4-5% grade climbs early and 2 significant climbs hitting 13-16% grade. Starting BS of 165, temp basil set at 50% (.65) of 1.3 u/ hr. Started the ride and felt OK but hit some good spots during the early climbs, checked bs at 5 miles as felt I was going down (CGM's are great on the bike) and saw my graph going down fast (89), ate some pretzel sticks approximately 60 g of carbs at that check (after the climb). Saw my BS stabilize for much of the ride between 100 and 111. Hit the hard climbs and was fatigued and struggled but worked through it. At one point during the penultimate climb where the grade hit 16% and the wind gusting across the bare corn field, I couldn't help but savor the moment. In moments like this riding and suffering, I felt in my element. I talked about this with Coach Dave describing these moments with great "pleasure." Ironman hurts, but hurts good! Finished the ride dreaming about my recovery bars and energy drink and checked the CGM. I was at 69! Ate a couple of glucose tabs and brought it home. Looked at my numbers, 163 watts, 1hr 32 minutes, winds gusting between 15 to 30 mph. Not too bad I thought. Tomorrow's run will be very early as me and my son are going to the Pittsburgh Steelers game in Baltimore!

1 comment:

Anne Findlay said...

Congrat's on your great ride, and getting out the door on a cold day. Does the CGM work well even with cold temps? And 13-16% grade? yikes! Did you have any insulin on board from recent boluses before you started?