Thursday, December 6, 2007

Triabetes

Wow, triabetes! As I am working out this project is alwasy finds its way into my brain. Before I got involved with venure, I always trained and raced in isolation. I would talk about racing with diabetes as folks at the transition racks would ask what that, pointing to my insulin pump, was for in the race. Now, we can tell a story. How cool is the finish line photo going to be with the team!

Trianing continues to be less structured. In 2006, I trained and peaked too early and was toast fot the Great Floridian. So, Coach Dave and I are planning the season around 2 A races, Eagleman and IM Wisconsin. Along the way, some B-races will be good tests to see where IM training is going. In years past, I like to do some road races in the winter and early spring, but may decide to bypass again this year with my plantar problem and pain finally discipating. So with that said...

Swim- What pool? I haven't been in the pool since October, but have been working out ont he Vasa Ergometer, a swim treadmill, and doign about 1 to 2k per week. My thoughts, paired with Coach Dave is to build functional strength now and the erg helps with that. I hope to be back in the pool soon, or maybe not

Bike- I am fortunate that my wife is a tri-geek too so we treated ourselves a few years ago to Computrainer. I have ridden Ironman Wisconsin a few times already and have the 2 loops through Dane County as my target courses now. Also doing a bit of ATB'ing and feeling that my endurance is low, but leg strenght is building with ATB'ong, not to mention is is fun.

Run-Doing 2 runs per week and will incorporate some bricks come January. SLD (Slow Long Distance) on Sundays keeping heart rate under 155. Attempting to teach my body to burn my excess fat. The weekday run is about 45 minutes same type of pace.

Overall- Keeping body moving and that's my primary goal. Moving toward 40 and racing Iroman again, can't let thing be on shut down mode for too long. It snowed yesterday and hope it stays around to do some X-Country Skiing.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Congrats on getting your blog up and running, Chop! Glad to hear you've been doing the IM loop on your computrainer...now let's get you here in my backyard to actually do the real one... :) We miss you in San Diego...hopefully we can get the group to ride in Boone, NC this summer...

:)Michelle

Bill said...

Steve, glad to see your living your dream and a great inspiration for others. I always knew you would achieve anything you set your mind to. I recently received a Sykesville newspaper with an article of you training for a Ironman later this year. I wish you the best. I'm currently on another deployment. In case you don't remember who I am, we graduated High School together and I lived a few houses up from you.

Take Care,
Bill Hartman