Monday, December 24, 2007

Tough Days

Despite having some good days when it gets tough it gets tough. Saturday night had one of those nights where the blood sugar fairies pushed it to the limits of the low's. We had our annual Christmas party and I ate and bolus'd what I thought wisely until about 11:30 pm. That's when it felt like the bottom fell out and I began feeling like I was going to pass out. I am fortunate my wife doesn't panic and we began testing and I dropped into the 30's and still dropping according to her. I was out of it but responsive to her and drank oj and ate a bunch of carbs to bring me up. The next "moment" I remember was about 12:50 am and began to shake the low off. Yuk part of diabetes. In looking back, I ran before the party along with my increased activity level at our party (playing with the kids and numerous games of air hockey, etc), and my trying to be responsible probably was my downfall as I didn't take into account the rebound effect exercise has on blood sugar, and I got "caught." Felt terribly drained Sunday and was worthless the whole day. I appreciated that e are not in full training tilt and decided to take a day off from training. Today is much better and will get on the bike for a few hours today. As I said before just when you think you got a handle on Diabetes, it comes back to keep you honest and keeps things interesting.

2 comments:

Anne Findlay said...

sorry to hear about that Steve. Those low lows are really tough. I'm glad you were able to get out of it okay. I hope this week goes better for you.
Merry Christmas,
Anne

Michelle said...

Hey, Steve. I'm familiar all too well with those low lows...sometimes Jesse comes home from school and falls asleep on the couch...gets up long enough to put his pjs on and climb in bed....I hate those days that are robbed from him.... but every time you talk about it, one more person is educated in the world, right? Merry Christmas. :)

Michelle