Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Why am I doing this?

I was going to post something witty but really have no energy to do so. I swam and rode with no real punch, but it gave me time to think. In my mind I recounted the year. I thought about the Triabetes project and checked my reasons for wanting to be involved. I needed only to look at some comments my team members left on my tough day post. Thanks Michelle and Ann, you words really helped.

For years I trained and raced in isolation as I am not a real social person. I tended to keep my diabetes silent but loved the competition. I guess I wanted to be a voice but didn't know how. As I rode, I kept thinking to myself, racing Ironman, doing a documentary is really secondary to the legacy this team will leave. After the final finsher's medal is awarded, the chronicle of this experience will live on. I probably go overboard about my children, they are worth it, but I look back on the possible impact our project will have and settle in to think that someday my children will be proud of this. Also this will give hope to those parents who worry about their newly diagnosed diabetic child future. That is something I can get stoked for, as my energy level kicked up for the final part of the ride!

1 comment:

Brickhead said...

That is a hell of a question, my friend - I think about that a lot. I mean we all are coming at this from different places and for different reasons - but there is something special that then has bonded us together in this project. Regardless of how this all turns out - we gave the effort to try to do something out of the ordinary - and if all we walk away with is friendship and brotherhood in diabetes, then fine with me.